Welcome to Musique Sur La Mer
Musique Sur La Mer
6475 Pacific Coast Highway, Suite 371
Long Beach, CA 90803
MSLM Youth Symphony Orchestra
- For all levels of musicians ages 12-24
- Must schedule an audition date and time by e-mailing Marcy Sudock at email@example.com
- Audition Requirements for Violins/Violas/Harp: 3 octave major scales, 3 min. unaccompanied Classical or Baroque solo of your choice, light sight-reading
- Audition Requirements for Cellos, Basses, Woodwinds, Brass: 2 octave major scales, 3 min. unaccompanied Classical or Baroque solo of your choice, light sight-reading
- Audition Requirements for Percussion: 2 octave major scales on orchestra bells/xylophone, demonstrate rudiments on snare, Solo of your choice
Honors Chamber Jazz Orchestra or Woodwind Ensemble
- By invitation only
- Must be concurrently enrolled in MSLMYSO
La Petite Musique Children’s Orchestra
- For all levels of musicians ages 7-14
- No Audition Required
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to read music and play their instrument
- For students who have had a minimum of two years of private or group lessons
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are applying for the Musique Sur La Mer Youth Symphony Orchestra, you will be required to audition. If you are applying for Le Petite Musique Orchestre you do not need to audition, but you will have a brief placement piece to prepare for the first rehearsal.
Auditions are generally held in May, June and July by appointment. Auditions are held year throughout the year when a seat is available. Email the director to inquire – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled audition time.
Wear clothes that are comfortable to perform in. Nice casual is appropriate.
Yes, bring your instrument and anything else that you might need. Bring a photocopy of your music for the adjudicator.
No, we have music stands.
Be prepared to play a solo of your choice, approx. 3 min. in length that reflects your highest level of performance PLUS be able to demonstrate your ability on Major scales and arpeggios and possibly a little sight-reading.
- 3 octave major scales
- 3 min. unaccompanied Classical or Baroque solo of your choice
- light sight-reading
- 2 octave major scales
- 3 min. unaccompanied classical or Baroque solo of your choice
- light sight-reading
- 2 octave major scales on orchestra bells/xylophone
- demonstrate rudiments on snare
- Solo of your choice
Easy sight-reading may be added.
No, you will not need to memorize your music.
No, all auditions will be unaccompanied.